Cell counting is used as a widespread measurement in tissue culture to assess cell density for cell-based assays, as a readout in proliferation, viability and toxicity assays, and to normalize cell-based assay results for differences in cell density. BioTek’s imaging and microscopy products can count cells using a number of microscopy methods including label-free cell counting using either phase contrast or high contrast brightfield; color brightfield for trypan blue-based viability measurements; or fluorescence microscopy using fluorometric probes that intercalate with nuclear DNA. Below are examples of cell counting applications using BioTek products:
- Standard hemocytometer-based cell counting using phase contrast to count total cells and color brightfield to count trypan blue-stained non-viable cells
- Automated cell counting using C-chips and high contrast brightfield or fluorescence microscopy
- High throughput automated cell counting using microplates and high contrast brightfield or fluorescence microscopy
- Cell proliferation assays using either high contrast brightfield or fluorescence microscopy
- Cytotoxicity and apoptosis assays using fluorescence microscopy
Normalization of Cell-based Assays
- Total cell counts and/or % viability after assay readout in the same microplate using either high contrast brightfield or fluorescence microscopy
With Gen5 3.0 Software, cell counting is both powerful and intuitive. Advanced image pre-processing tools like image smoothing and background flattening help obtain quantitative measurements from the acquired images with high accuracy and precision. Default cell counting settings provided in Gen5 are appropriate for the majority of standard cell counting applications, including 1-click cell counting that removes the complexity from image analysis.
- Automated Hemocytometer-Based Live/Dead Cell Counting using Phase Contrast and Color Brightfield Imaging
- Kinetic Proliferation Assay Using Label-Free Cell Counting
- Normalization of Agilent Seahorse XF Data by In-situ Cell Counting Using a BioTek Cytation 5
Visual Abstracts (.mp4):
BioTek’s Visual Abstracts are brief animated presentations describing the Augmented Microcopy workflow of a specific application.
Learn more about Cell Counting applications - search our Application Notes and technical documentation in Resources.